Münster bounce Werder from Cup

20.08.2012, 08:06:43 Uhr

It was a day to forget for Clemens Fritz (above) and his teammates. Werder Bremen had to accept defeat 4-2 after extra time to Amaury Bischoff and Preußen Münster.
Despite twice going in front, Werder Bremen were bounced from the German DFB Cup in the first round, losing 4-2 in extra time to Preußen Münster in the Green-Whites' first competitive match of the 2012-13 season. Two great goals from Eljero Elia and Niclas Füllkrug put Werder Bremen ahead but Matthew Taylor twice equalised and it was 2-2 after 90 minutes. Then Dima Nazarov and Taylor scored in extra time to come up with the cup shocker.

Werder Bremen's season opener was very hot as temperatures went over 40 degrees as the players took the pitch. Thomas Schaaf's team started the game well and then showed it deserved the role as favourites shortly before the break. After some fine passing between Kevin de Bruyne and Nils Petersen, Elia was all alone on the left side of the box and struck a dream goal to make it 1-0 in the 45th minute.

Despite the heat, Werder were caught cold in the 54th minute as the ball came unluckily to Taylor, who was able to beat Werder keeper Sebastian Mielitz and defender Sokratis to equalise. Werder were initially insecure but were able to regain the lead. The substitute Marko Arnautovic crossed from the left side into the box where fellow sub Füllkrug jumped high to head in and make it 2-1 for Werder after 67 minutes.

The lead held only until the 82nd minute as Taylor again equalised for Preußen Münster, turning on Sokratis to get space and beating Mielitz into the lower left corner. The game remained 2-2 until the end of the regulation. Things got dodgy for Schaaf's team in extra time. After a pass from Taylor, Nazarov one-timed a blast past Mielitz into the right corner to make it 3-2 for Preußen Münster after 96 minutes.

The 3-2 lead was a shock from which Werder could not recover. Sokratis saw yellow-red in the 108th minute before Taylor struck his third goal on a counter attack in the 118th minute, securing Bremen's second straight first round exit from the German DFB Cup against a third division side - just like last season against Heidenheim. Now Bremen must fully concentrate on their Bundesliga opener on Friday against Borussia Dortmund.

DFB Pokal, Saison 2012/2013, First round, 19.08.2012, Preussen Stadium
Preußen Münster
SV Werder Bremen
SC Preußen Münster: Masuch - Hergesell, Schöneberg, Heise (46th Grote), Schmidt - Kühne (61st Kirsch), Bischoff, Nazarov, Siegert (65th Königs) - Taylor, Truckenbrod

Werder Bremen: Mielitz, Ignjovski, Sokratis, Prödl, Gebre Selassie - Fritz (65th Füllkrug), Hunt (91st Bargfrede), Junuzovic, Elia (59th Arnautovic), de Bruyne - Petersen

Goals: 0-1 Elia (45th), 1-1 Taylor (54th), 1-2 Füllkrug (67th), 2-2 Taylor (82nd), 3-2 Nazarov (96th) 4-2 Taylor (118th)

Yellow: Truckenbrod, Königs (both Münster) / Ignjovski (Bremen)

Yellow-red: Sokratis (Bremen)

Referee: Peter Sippel (Munich)

Preußen Stadium: 18,000 spectators



Official Sponsors
Top 5 News
Always the latest News


Become a Member!
  • Attractive welcoming present
  • Reduced Season-Ticket
  • Discount on fan article
  • WERDER MAGAZIN for free
  • Preferential treatment with the ticket assignment